Effective Brand Positioning depends upon identifying and communicating with brand’s uniqueness, differentiation and verifiable value. The question is, what makes a particular brand preeminent, compared to other competing brands. It is important to note that “me too” brand positioning contradicts the notion of differentiation and should be avoided at all costs. This type of copycat brand positioning only works if the business has to offer something that may be not as good or appealing, but significantly cheaper, compared to the other competitor(s).
The process of brand positioning usually involves:
- Identifying main competitors to the business.
- Getting to know how identified competitors place their products and position their business at the moment.
- Defining your own brand positioning as it is today, although it may not exist at the moment.
- Comparing the company’s positioning to its competitors’ to search for space to improve or differenciate.
- Creating a distinctive, differentiating brand positioning statement, based on product values, producing key messages and customer propositions.
Adapted from wikipedia